Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Understanding the Workflow Between Google Drive and Google Classroom

When making use of Google Classroom, it's important to understand how Google Classroom works with Google Drive, and the workflow that an assignment goes through.

Classroom Folder Structure In Google Drive
The first thing that is important to understand is that Google Classroom automatically generates a folder structure on Google Drive for Classroom to use. All documents used by you and your students in Google Classroom will be stored somewhere in the Classroom folder on your Drive. Do not attempt to delete or change this folder structure! Doing so can cause glitches in Classroom and Drive.

Inside the Classroom folder, a subfolder is generated for each separate classroom you create. Inside the subfolder for each Classroom, you'll find subfolders for each and every assignment you post in Google Classroom. The image below shows the structure visually. Instead of "Classroom 1" and "Assignment 1", you'll see folder names that match your Classroom and assignment names.


The Classroom folder on the teacher's Drive contains all the files of all the students. Do not share the Classroom folder with students- this will allow them to see other students' work and constitutes a breach of student privacy. The Classroom folder on the student's Drive contains only the files he or she owns and has worked on. 

Workflow of an Assignment
When you create an assignment and make a copy for every student, the copies are generated the moment you click "assign" and post the assignment to the stream. At this time, the students become the "owner" of their copy and you have viewing rights.

Once students have edited their copy of the document and clicked "turned in" ownership is transferred to the teacher, and student rights are changed to "view only". If the student unsubmits the assignment, ownership will transfer back to the student. When a teacher returns an assignment, the ownership also reverts back to the student.

If you make comments on a submitted document, the student will not be able to see the comments you've made until you return the document, or the student unsubmits the document.



Unsubmitting and Returning Work
It's important to know that students can unsubmit work at any time. Work can be unsubmitted, resubmitted, and returned to the student as many times as necessary for your purposes (for example, writing revisions). Google Classroom and the document activity stream on Drive will show you when these changes in ownership take place, allowing you to see the timeline of activity if needed.

I hope this answers any questions you may have had about the Google Classroom workflow.





32 comments:

  1. Hi- Thanks for this information. If I am understanding correctly, the teacher does not retain a version of the assignment that was turned in. Once it's returned to the student and s/he has editing rights again, the originally submitted version of the assignment may be altered by the student. Is there no static copy of the document/assignment kept in the teacher's drive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have accidentally deleted the classroom folder while "cleaning things up". Is there a way for me to retrieve or create one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if I'm a planning time teacher and a co-creator in 16 google classrooms? I'm getting 100's of random files scattered in my google drive from students. These files are not even my subject area and are from other teachers? Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have shared the classroom folder, how do you change this back so that it is no longer shared?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My students do not see the comments I've made. I have marked, left comments and returned all assignments (it took me all day) but students do not see my comments. Why?

    ReplyDelete
  6. After I've commented on and returned student work to be re-worked and returned to me, how do I find the work once they've resubmitted it me? Is there a particular area in the grade section of GC to find it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Laurah, I have assigned my first assignments and some hard charging students have already turned them in. The problem that I'm having is that I cannot see the submitted work. I can see my students, icons that say "turned in", and even the possible points - but not the work. I have tried to click on the folder icon for the assignment but receive the following message: "404. That’s an error. The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know." Help, please? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me parece interesante su aporte, explicando cual es el proceso de los comentarios a los trabajos de los alumnos por parte del profesor. Lo entendí bien.
    Tomaré nota de ello y llegado el momento lo pondré en practica.
    Gracias.
    Slds,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super interesante su aporte en el tema de comentarios a los trabajos de los alumnos por parte del profesor.
    Gracias.
    Slds,

    ReplyDelete
  10. My students have submitted work on an assignment like this, but they are getting emails with my comments on them, even though they don't have edit rights any more - how do I stop this?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't students see my comments that I've entered on their document WITHIN Google Classroom? It's not a great workflow if students first have to go to their Google Drive, Shared with Me, search for their files, just to see my comments for their submitted files. Am I missing something here?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I returned a test to a student and he still can't see my comments unless he opens the document in a new page on his web browser. This is tedious for students to re-open each new page in another tab.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The student returned the PDFs I sent using CamScanner. I added typed comments and returned the assignment. The student can't see the comments, and I can't see them anymore either. Is there any fix for this, or must I do something different next time. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have copies of student work going into my regular drive as well as my google classroom folder - how do I stop this?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Laurah J. This is so incredibly helpful. I've been using Google Classroom now for 4 years, and still am learning new things. Have a nice evening!
    Sara Pozzi

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Ss are seeing private comments prior to the work being returned to them. I want to make comments now and grade, but not return until all students have submitted. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What if you are an added teacher or a teacher that is added as a student. I am getting all these assignments (slides, docs) in my google drive. I would like to delete them without deleting the student's work or the orginal file from the teacher. Am I able to remove them? If so, how?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is there any way that let's say a student from class 803 submits work on GC that it can automatically go into a folder on MY drive that is labeled 803? We understand how the workflow happens but many of us after remote learning have 1000s of pieces of work free floating in our drives- are we supposed to take every piece of work and put it in a folder? Is there a filter we can use?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello,
    I never deleted this file, so my files are now a hot mess. Is there any way to fix if the file is not there?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can a student see private comments on an assignment before it is returned to the student?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi-
    We have returned the work to the students but they can no longer edit the assignment. We are using iPads. The student would typically get the blue pencil button, but it does NOT show up on the student iPads when they have either unsubmitted or if the work has been returned to them. Please help! They also can't see the comments the teacher has written.

    ReplyDelete
  22. not able to see the comments on a mobile phone

    ReplyDelete
  23. Does this comment feature work with pictures that students turn in?

    ReplyDelete
  24. My students are telling me that they cannot see their google doc after I graded and returned it to them. Can you help me?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have returned assignments with comments, but the comments do not show when the student opens the returned assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I commented on student assignments, then returned the assignments. When the student opens their returned assignment the comments are not shown.

    ReplyDelete
  27. If I have deleted the Classroom folder (it is not there) how do I restore it and get everything set up correctly?

    ReplyDelete
  28. can a student unsubmit an assignment while marking by teacher is ongoing?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for your post. My challenge is whenever I return the assignment with comments, pupils are unable to read it.

    ReplyDelete