Thursday, September 14, 2017

Google Classroom: "Class Code Invalid" or "You cannot invite student from this domain"

So, you've got your awesome Google Classroom all set up and ready to go. It's time to invite students or have them join using the class code. There's just one problem. When you start to invite students, you get a message "Cannot invite student from this domain". When students try to use the class code they get an error: "invalid code". What is going on?!?


The first questions I always ask when I hear this are: 
  • What kind of account did you use to create the classroom? Was it GSuite for Education? Personal Google Account? 
  • What kind of account are students using to join the classroom? GSuite for Education account issued by your school? Personal Google Account? 
Classrooms Created with GSuite for Education Account
By default, every GSuite for Education domain has classroom set so that only accounts on the school domain can join classrooms on the school domain. Every school or district that uses GSuite for Education has a Google Administrator who provisions accounts, chooses settings for GSuite services, etc. In most cases, GSuite Admin choose to not change this setting. 

However, the admin can choose to allow out-of domain users from other GSuite domains, or from any domain to join classrooms on the school domain as well, as well as allow the users on the school domain to join classes on other domains. If the user is from another GSuite domain, their Google Admin will need to enable users on their domain to join classes on other domains as well. 


So, if the person joining your classroom is from another GSuite domain or has a personal Google account and you are getting this message, you will need to contact your domain's Google Admin to determine whether they will allow out-of-domain users. Please see this reference for assistance contacting your Google Admin. 

Classrooms Created with Personal Accounts
All personal Google accounts can join Classrooms created with personal accounts. However, if students with GSuite accounts try to join a Classroom created with a personal account, they will receive the error message. At this time, GSuite for Education accounts cannot join Classrooms created with a personal account. 

Keep in mind, that if you are creating a classroom with a personal Google account, you cannot use this classroom with students in a school setting. For one, it is against Google Classroom TOU. 



For another, Google Classroom within the GSuite environment meets the requirements set forth by federal privacy laws like COPPA and FERPA. Google Classroom when used with personal Google Accounts is not compliant with these laws, and therefore cannot be used with children in schools.

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion if you've been having trouble adding students to your classroom!


10 comments:

  1. Hi Laurah,

    In response to your helpful questions on students having trouble accessing my classroom even after resetting the code.

    I purchased a domain mzsusan@pittphoto.org to create the classroom to keep it separate. The students are using their gmail accounts to join your classroom. Should I just change my account to a personal account so my users can access it or have kids create a GSuite account? I imagine my change might be easiest but, I can receive mail from studnets at this account so it does work with their current accounts.

    I did make sure students on the correct account but I did not double check that they were logged out of all other accounts on the device before trying to join the classroom so I will try that fix Monday.

    Yes, I code checked :)

    I think your information was very helpful and I bet once you respond again we will be up and running!

    I tried another post prior to contacting you and it recommended fixes but I think it has more to do with me being on an .org and I should be on a personal account like the kids.

    Thank,

    Susan

    PS I would love to be a Google Educator are the classes online or do we attend training session?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurah,

    In response to your helpful questions on students having trouble accessing my classroom even after resetting the code.

    I purchased a domain mzsusan@pittphoto.org to create the classroom and to keep it separate from other accounts. The students are using their gmail accounts to join your classroom although are school district cannot afford teachers to have accounts in high school. Should I just change my account to a personal account so my users can access it or have kids create a GSuite account? I imagine my change might be easiest but, I can receive mail from students at this account so it does work with their current accounts.

    I did make sure students on the correct account but I did not double check that they were logged out of all other accounts on the device before trying to join the classroom so I will try that fix Monday.

    Yes, I code checked :)

    I think your information was very helpful and I bet once you respond again we will be up and running!

    I tried another post prior to contacting you and it recommended fixes but I think it has more to do with me being on an .org and I should be on a personal account like the kids.

    Thank,

    Susan

    PS I would love to be a Google Educator are the classes online or do we attend training session?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont have create on the classroom what do do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Evening,
    I have three students who have tried to login to Google Classroom but the email is invalid. We have tried a few times to input the osis number and dob. All is successful until we reach the four applications options. We are able to go in Zoom it goes in using email but when we select Google Classroom it says the email is invalid not in directory?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are the benefits of Email signature on Gmail?
    The email signatures on Gmail have their own benefits those are with the help of signature it becomes easy to promote any event or product also with the email signature message conveying becomes easy one can also easily show the graphic design skills if still needed then to know more the user should ask the Gmail technicians for help and support all the time. Lines are open always at +44-800-368-9067.
    Gmail Help UK

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you have archived emails in Gmail and want to clear the archive folder then, you will need to open the Gmail app on your Android tablet and phone. Now, tap on Menu appears in the top left. Now, tap on Settings General Settings and Gmail default action. Now, tap on Archive or delete and scroll down the “Action confirmations” section and select if you want to confirm before archiving or deleting messages. Dial +44-800-368-9067 to get instant and reliable help if you are facing any issue.
    Gmail Help Desk Number UK.

    ReplyDelete