Monday, September 25, 2017

Parents and Google Classroom

One of the most common questions I see, from both teachers and parents is, "How can the parent join their child's Google Classroom?"



Roles in Google Classroom
Google Classroom is not designed for parents to join the class. There are only two roles in classroom- "teacher" and "student". The teachers can see all student work and information, students can see other students' names and any comments they make in the classroom. From a privacy standpoint, inviting parents to either of these roles would violate the privacy of other students.

Why doesn't the class code work for parents?
By default, Google Classroom settings in the admin panel only allow users with an account on the school domain to join classrooms on the school domain. While some Google Admin have chosen to allow out-of-domain users, most have not for reasons related to student privacy and security of student information.

Even if your admin has allowed out-of-domain users, I still don't recommend allowing parents to join your classroom because of Federal educational privacy laws.

How can I keep parents up-to-date with what's happening in Google Classroom? 
The best way to do this is to invite parents to receive Guardian Summaries. This article describes how to turn on guardian summaries for your classroom and invite guardians. Guardians who accept the invitation can choose to receive summaries about their child's classes either weekly or daily- their choice. Guardian summaries include the following information:

  • Missing work—Work that’s late at the time the email was sent
  • Upcoming work—Work that’s due today and tomorrow (for daily emails) or work that’s due in the upcoming week (for weekly emails)
  • Class activity—Announcements, assignments, and questions recently posted by teachers
See a sample guardian summary. Please note that once a teacher has invited a guardian for a particular student, that guardian address will become "linked" to the child, and the parent will receive summaries for all classes that have the option enabled. If the child is enrolled in multiple classrooms, the parent email only has to be entered and invited once. 

I don't see the option to turn on Guardian Summaries for my classroom. What do I do? 
You will need to contact your organization's Google Administrator to see if the option is enabled for your organization. If it is enabled for your organization (other teachers at your school see the option in their Classroom) and you don't see it in your Classroom, ask your Google Administrator to ensure that you are a "verified" (not "pending" member of the Classroom Teachers Google Group on your domain. 

Pro-Tips:
  • If you do not want your classroom included in the summaries, simply leave the toggle next to "include this class in summaries" off. 
  • Deleting the guardian address in your classroom's "students" tab will delete the guardian address for all classes the student is enrolled in. 
  • You are able to invite more than one guardian per child.
  • Make sure that when parents accept the invitation, they are not signed into any other Google accounts on their computer or device. Having other Google Accounts signed in can cause issues with accepting the invitation with the proper email address.


22 comments:

  1. Hi Laurah,
    We have noticed that when we post assignments in Google Classroom with due dates the Parent Summary includes a due date bumped up by one day. For ex, an assignment posted on 9/25 shows it is due in classroom and on the classroom calendar, but the parent summary would show it being due 9/26. We checked out time zones and added an 11:00 pm date on the days to see if that would fix it. No luck. Just wondering if you had any other suggestions? The forums suggest this is a known glitch but couldn't find any fixes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Staci,
      Are you setting a due TIME, or just a due DATE? I think if no time is assigned, then it defaults to midnight, which would push it into the next day. Try setting a time too, and let me know if that works.

      Laurah J.

      Delete
  2. Yes. At first there was no time set, so I did edit the assignment to change it to an 11:00 PM due date. I made the edit prior to the Parent Summary going out and it didn't seem to change the dates back to the actual date. I changed 4 upcoming assignment dates to 11:00 pm just to see, still the same issue. The only thing I didn't try was adding a new assignment with the time from the get-go. I'm stumped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci,

      Is this happening with ALL parent summaries? If not, I'm wondering if it could have something to do with the parent's timezone settings?

      Laurah J.

      Delete
  3. That is something I hadn't considered. I'll see how if I can find a parent summary example of that. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurah,
      Thank you so much for your input. We were so busy double checking our timezones we didn't consider asking the parent about which time zone they chose when setting it up. They were set to Eastern which would have made them one hour ahead of us, thus the difference! Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Yay! I'm so glad that solved the problem!

      Delete
  4. Laurah,

    I have turned on google classroom settings for guardians, however I cannot get into the option that allows me to add class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Georgia,

      I'm not sure what you mean about the option to "add class". Once you've turned on the option for a class (it's done on a class by class basis), you should see the option to "invite parents" on the "people" tab. If you don't see that, you'll need to check with your organization's Google Admin to ensure that you are a "verified" (not "pending") member of the Classroom Teachers Google Group on your school's domain.

      Laurah J.

      Delete
  5. I am delighted to come to such a wonderful blog. I am really very impressed to read from top to bottom. I read every single line and understand the essence of every single word. I appreciate all efforts.
    家長教育

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've sent all my guardian invitations. Several parents have come to me and showed me that as soon as they hit "accept" in the email, they are immediately directed to Google Classroom and promoted to join, which obviously they can't do. Is this because the parent is signed in to a personal Gmail account?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know parents cannot access the "classroom" however they do receive notification that I have posted.
    I have a parent who cannot get on, the class code does not work for her.
    How to rectify?? Or is it enough that she has accepted the invite?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there somewhere in my Google Account that I can see who I'm a guardian of and which classes I'm recieving summaries for?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I inadvertently clicked the "I'm not the guardian" option in the invitation to receive guardian email summaries. How do I get a new invitation so that I can join.
    Thank you,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laurah, I reached out to my child's teacher and was invited as a guardian but, the gmail address doesn't recognize my sign on thus not listing the class on my side.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a student in my classroom who her mom wants to get the email summaries I already invited her but she can’t seem to find the invite what do I do? I tried to re-email her but it doesn’t link her to the classroom summaries.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I have some parents who, when they receive the email to get parent summaries and click "Accept", it asks them for a code. Please help as I can find no information on why it is asking them for a code when they are being invited as guardians. I also have some parents who are not receiving the email.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the Guardian Summaries; however, I am concerned about student privacy. Is there a way to block guardians from seeing the discussion posts on the stream?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am concerned because I have severe Autism students. Parents need to be a part of this process. Students are not able to navigate, log in, or follow the lay out of this platform. My students need prompting to get off and on the platform. What can I do?

    Ms. Stacy G.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have parent who have been added to receive summaries for their child but when they click on the link and then accept it asks them for a class code. I don't want them to join my class (they can't) just to set up summaries.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My son’s teacher is trying to e-mail me an “invite” to join the class as a parent. When I hit accept, it takes me to google classroom, but nothing is there. If I try to join a class, it wants a code. How does a parent join Google Classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Laurah -

    I have a parent who was added as Guardian but the parent summaries are going to an old email address, not the one that I entered. I removed her and added her as a Guardian again with her current email address, but the summaries went to the old email address again. Any suggestions? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete