Monday, November 20, 2017

Google Forms and Google Classroom: Importing Grades from Google Forms Quizzes

Recently, Google added a new feature to make Google Classroom and Google Forms more compatible. Previously, you had to manually enter grades from Forms into Classroom. But that is no more! You can now simply import the grades directly from Forms into Classroom pretty instantaneously.



*Please note, this feature is only available for Classrooms in GSuite for Education. This option is not available for Classrooms created with personal Google acounts (@gmail.com). 

When you attach a Form to an assignment in Google Classroom using the Drive icon, you will see a toggle appear that says "enable grade importing". Simply turn on this toggle before clicking the blue "assign" button.


Once all your students have completed the quiz in Google Forms and checked to ensure that it is "marked as done" in Classroom, then you can click the "import grades" button on the student work page.

A pop up will appear, asking you to confirm your choice. Click "import".

And just like that, your grades will appear in Classroom. You can then return the assignment to students and add private comments if you wish.

Troubleshooting:
In most cases, when the toggle is turned on, the correct settings will be applied to the form to make it compatible with grade importing. However, occasionally this doesn't happen. In that case, check the following:

  • Make sure that the Form is the only thing you have attached to the assignment. If other documents or links are attached to the assignment, the toggle will not appear.
  • Check to make sure that the quiz feature is set up properly with point values and correct responses identified
  • Check to ensure the Form is set to limit users to 1 response.
  • Check that email collection is enabled 
  • Check that you've set the form to limit to users in your own domain

Happy quizzing! If you have questions, post them below!


12 comments:

  1. I have this issue where my 1st class imports correctly but the rest of the sections do not work correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the good information.do we have any add onfeatures to imports the grade into classroom

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my mail i joined with it the school googl classrooms
    I have to make new account ?
    I don't have this button no matter what i do ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was very helpful! I think my mistake was attaching another form/link to the assignment, and the toggle didn't show up. Either that or I just missed it when assigning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not have the option from your first pic of enable grade importing. PLEASE HELP> I HAVE LOOKED OVER SO MANY FORUMS AND YOUTUBE VIDEOS AND DON'T SEE WHAT I AM DOING WRONG! :'(

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was exactly what I needed. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exactly what I needed. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. please update this page... it will be a great help for many teachers...
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. This works for the most part but there are times when a student fills in the quiz, submits it and I can see that they have completed it when I look in the results of the google quiz, but their mark does not upload to classroom when the next student does! They're using the same form, same quiz and I've followed all the about recommendations. Is there something students are doing that messes that up?

    ReplyDelete
  10. there is no icon for import grades and I don't really know what to do. The other issue is that, there was an import grades icon but when I imported the grades all students got zero.

    ReplyDelete
  11. is the 'import grade' feature available only for those who have a suite account? I dont have one , so what should I do

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you know why a Quiz, created in Google Classroom in the manner described above, would not populate the email addresses into a spreadsheet created from it?

    ReplyDelete